Saturday, January 8, 2011

Resolutions – Bubbles & Imposter

It’s a new year, and I’m looking forward to seeing a new crop of volunteers at Maddie’s. Not to mention new feline faces replacing all the kitties who went home over the holidays, and hopefully many people who’ve made a commitment to give a shelter animal a home.

My shift starts slow. I’m immediately drawn, beckoned in by insistent window pawing, by Bubbles and Imposter, a pair newly arrived from Yolo County. Bubbles is a frisky young orange tabby, brimming with personality. All black Imposter is a bit smaller and more skittish, but also clearly eager for attention. Both purr and rub, with one then the other curling up in my lap. They bat at each others' heads as if it’s part of their routine. Bubbles (who has a note about how he chews through tube toys) is eager to chase anything that moves. He’s also pretty sure the TV birds are right there in the room with us.

Across the hall, pretty all black green-eyed Cyprus watches carefully. He’s a cuddly Love Bug who also rubs eagerly and purrs. He circles, steering his head toward my hand and raising his rear for some good solid rump pats. All three cats are new to the shelter though, and jumpy about hallway noises.

A young couple approach, thoughtful quiet cat people, also mesmerized by Bubbles. They’re really looking for a mellower kitty, and we check out a few others. One is a sweet scared little girl who’s entirely hidden out of sight. We sit quietly and slowly coax her out. The guy just melts when she allows him to pick her up and then leans into his chest. They go to look at some more cats, but I’m happy – and not surprised – when they return to choose this precious girl.

Meantime I’m busy with a mom and three kids. They’re well behaved and good with cats, but have lots of questions. We spend awhile in a room with three good natured and playful youngsters – three kids, three toys, three kittens, lots of fun. The mom was more taken with the first kitten we saw. She texts her husband, laughing at how he’s about to be ambushed. We did talk about it, she tells me. I nod, neutral, not sure if this meant a brief exchange or a laying out of New Year’s resolutions for the family.

I’m not big on those resolutions, per se. I did promise myself to post some old pictures on Facebook before the year was out, and did so with the result of amusing exchanges amongst nearly forgotten kids who are now somehow middle aged.

And I’ve told myself it’s time to e-publish my novel. Even the older folks back east had brand new Kindles, and every other person on BART is toting an e-reader of some sort. So if you’ve enjoyed this blog, you might like to try my fiction. I’d really appreciate any clicks to http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/36248. It’s only $1.99 to download (yup, a two buck book), and you can check out sample pages for free. Thanks!! Okay, back to the cats…

No comments: