Saturday, January 22, 2011

Fictional Accounts – Cycloff & Karma

First the KQED pledge drive, now this… this blog brought to you by https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/36248 (it’s fiction, by the way, and not about cats).

Anyway, my first customer at Maddie’s is a nice young woman who’s looking for two youngish females. We don’t have many bonded pairs just now, although I put in a good word for Cycloff and Karma.

She looks around, and comes up with a short list, all shy and cuddly types. She’s quiet and easy with cats, and they in turn seem drawn to her. She just melts over one calico sweetie, and then debates about which other adorable kitty will be best to round out the set. She heads out to the front to consult further; I’m pleased for whoever she picks.

I pop in for a visit with Cycloff and Karma, who didn’t make the cut. They’re 5 and 4, both FIV positive but healthy, and both a little cautious. Karma greets me with a squeak. She’s all gray with round yellow eyes. Cycloff’s a gray tabby, the bolder of the pair. He the first to hop down, but after they’re comfortable he tends to follow Karma around, butting his head into wherever hers is. He’s easily distracted by toys though.

A somewhat older woman asks to see Thistle, an energetic "party animal" gray tabby girl. She’s got her paperwork all filled out, and mentions specific features of her house that a cat would like. Thistle shows well, rubbing between us, purring, even rolling on her back and wriggling around with her cute striped belly visible.

The woman tells me she reminds her of the cat her family had when she was little. She pets her lovingly. Thistle does this neck nuzzling thing that’s super cute, though a little challenging if you’re ticklish. The woman is delighted, and it sets us both laughing.

But after awhile, when I outline the next steps for adopting, her eyes shift downward. She keeps petting the cat, but mumbles about needing to consult her husband, previously unmentioned. I had the impression of someone who lived alone in a big sunny place. She stands suddenly, and thanks me, but then hurries from the condo and away down the hall.

She looked teary eyed, and it makes me wonder if everything she told me was made up. Not the part about her childhood cat, I’ll bet.

No comments: