Saturday, January 29, 2011

Kids Are All Right – Inch Worm

There have been lots of cat adoptions recently, so space has opened up at Maddie’s. They’ve brought down a van full of adoptable cats from Yolo County.

Country Boy is a gorgeous young orange tabby, an ideal cat as far as I’m concerned. He’s cautious then cuddly, soft and sweet, a champion muffin maker. He crawls into my lap, kneading and purring, then plays a bit, using my crossed legs as a base. I whisper to him that he’s lucky, he’ll be going home any day now.

I also spend some quality time with another Yolo group, a pair of frisky boys housed with Lula, a more sedate black and white girl. The guys play, energetic Sam gripping a toy in his mouth and dragging it for them both to chase, while I reach up to sooth pretty Lula.

A woman comes by with two little kids. Hopefully she’s the nanny, from her limited discipline: the girl smacks the windows and jiggles the door handles while the little boy is sniffling and whining noisily. I’m actually a bit relieved that they’re not here to adopt.

Not long later, a man and a little boy arrive, the adult much more attentive and the child calm and well behaved. What a difference paying attention to and reasonably interacting with a youngster can make.

We’re again flush with volunteers, so I spend extra time with a troubled little brown tabby named Inch Worm. He’s only 10 months old, but has been through some tough times judging by his behavior. He tries to stay hidden and growls fiercely at anyone who approaches him. But with some patience and encouraging baby talk, he’s soon ready to sniff my hand.

From there, I pet gently around his head. Quickly convinced I’m no threat he gets all wiggly and cute, purring and butting my hand. He’s still not ready to leave his safe space, but at least lets me feed him some kibble, continuing to rub and purr even while people talk out in the hallway. He’s so cute when he starts to relax – he’s got a sweet interior, but he’ll need someone dedicated to make up for what’s already happened to so frighten him. I’m sure whoever takes up the challenge will be rewarded with a very loyal boy.

No comments: