Saturday, January 15, 2011

Comforting Each Other – Maggie

Like everyone, my spirits are low this week, trying to comprehend the shooting of a precious brown eyed child in Tuscon. My one sentence take on the thing is that a person banned from community college for mental instability should not have access to a weapon like that. Ever.

I head off to Maddie’s, glad at least for a regular routine. Never mind I’m supposed to be comforting them, the gentle feline affection does me good. Eight year old Maggie, a chunky orange long hair with emerald eyes, makes a beeline for my lap as soon as I join her. She’s gone from shy to cuddly since arriving at the shelter, and she sprawls across my crossed legs, giving little kisses to my hands and arms.

There are a bunch of new volunteers around, so we can spend extra time with the cats. Plus, potential adopters can get individualized attention. I help a young woman who wants a kitten companion to go with her young mellow cat. She quickly selects the cutest little tabby in the place, and heads off happily.

A couple with an older dog are looking for a mature cat or possibly pair. They’re quiet and respectful, and several of us vie to assist them as they spend awhile waiting for the right match.

I give some extra attention to 13 year old Sneakers, who likes to just loll around and get gently petted. Also sweet youngster Maebe, a soft all black girl with a kinked tail and an adorable squeak. She’s cautious and alert, rubbing her head down the length of my leg then turning to gaze back at me as if asking if she’s doing it right. (You’re fine, I assure her.)

There is a new bonded pair of young Siamese cats, Chloe and Murphy, very soft and pretty with those striking blue eyes. She’s small and assertive, eager to make friends and play. He’s still a bit scared of all the strange noises and smells, but he ventures out for a little petting at least. Voices in the hall send him scooting back to hide. Little Chloe watches, then pokes a friendly nose in. What we’re all doing these days – comforting each other.

No comments: