Saturday, October 2, 2010

Decisions, Decisions – Lester

If you heard someone yelling thank you, thank you out the window when the fog finally rolled in, it might have been me. Me and my boy have not been digging the heat wave.

Now the weather’s cool, the Giants are in throwing distance of clinching the West, dozens of amazing acts are coming to play at our local amazing free show, LitQuake’s getting underway… it’s a wealth of entertainment options for the weekend.

Over at Maddie’s, I’m happy to see that big Buffy has finally been adopted. The first person I see asks if we have any tabbies. So I take her in to see my new favorite, 8 year old Lester. He’s a lovely, sweet, soft, green-eyed tabby, with a white bib and toes, a crooked little tail and a near constant purr. He’s a bit shy, but mostly a loving lap kitty. The woman thanks me and moves on, but I settle in with Lester, who curls happily on my lap. When my attention wanders, he gently mouths my arm to ask for more petting.

I get more lap time with gorgeous long red haired Kiyoshi. He’s cuddly and sweet. A new guy, 10 year old Spike, watches from across the hall. He’s also an orange tabby, but otherwise quite different – an outgoing "leader of the band" with loads of personality, who zips to the door when anyone walks by. I like each of them, but would be hard pressed to choose between them – they both have good cat qualities.

A woman comes looking specifically for a friendly long haired kitten. We visit with a cute set who have Star Trek names. She’s initially interested in Sulu, but decides Chekov is the best of the bunch. (Kirk and Spock are apparently out on a mission, or hopefully have already beamed up home.) In chatting, the woman reveals that she has a fiancé who’s away for the long weekend but who should probably be consulted about this decision. (Um, yes indeed.)

Meantime, an older gentleman has been going in and out of several condos with a staffer. He seems to have a long list of characteristics he’s looking for, and lots of questions. I’m not surprised when he eventually settles on little Melody, who’s such an ideal cat.

Sometimes it’s hard to know when the time is right, whether an even more perfect (cat/fill in the blank) is still out there somewhere. Sometimes you’ve just got to take the plunge.

No comments: