Saturday, October 16, 2010

Roomies – Smartie

Like everyone, I was fascinated and cheered by the rescue of the Chilean miners earlier this week. What a thrilling end to the brutal ordeal. Thinking about it, I tend to get stuck on the less talked about aspects, like suddenly living with 32 other dudes and no shower, and whether they’ll be buddies for life or never want to see each other again…

Anyway, off to Maddie’s, where everybody has a fresh litter box and a window on the world. It’s busy at first. I help a pair of women with an active household who are looking for a kitten. They have another cat at home, but recently lost a beloved old fellow raised since kittenhood.

They pretty much fall for the whole first batch we meet, three darling gray tabbies and an all white girl, exclaiming how much the tabbies look like their departed cat as a kitten. I delicately suggest that it’s hard to really replace a cat based on looks, but they assure me they get it, that these are totally new beings. All the kittens are "all stars," meaning well adjusted and adaptable, a good match for a busy household. Hopefully the older cat will like the new girl as much as she likes everything around her.

I meet a new bonded pair of 4 year olds, Wade and Evan. Wade is a pretty, wide eyed tabby, more assertive and the first to approach me. Evan is black and white, super soft, and he endears himself by standing next to my head and shyly nuzzling. You don’t need to read the write up to know these guys have been together forever – they’re completely relaxed in each others' company.

Across the hall, a sweet little black kitty named Chai is getting acquainted with a new addition named Smartie, just brought downstairs. Smartie, a cute and friendly black and white 2 year old, had two roomies who just got adopted, so they’re trying her out with a new potential pal.

Neither cat seems much bothered by the other. They both check out the room, then when fresh wet food is set down, they settle side by side, eating enthusiastically. I sit with them for a bit, petting one with each hand. Smartie’s already comfortable enough for a quick play session, and when I leave, she perches by the window to look out, with a precious take-me-home-please gleam in her eye.

I move on to talk to some more people about kittens. But not long later, I notice another volunteer showing Chai and Smartie to an interested couple. Checking back, I see an adoption pending note on Chai’s name card. Looks like Smartie will need another new roomie. Good thing she’s so adaptable and clever.

No comments: