Saturday, September 25, 2010

FAQ – Melody

We’re low on volunteers at the start of my shift, so I aim my initial kitty visits for the easy-to-see condos. Good opportunity to check in on my buddies Cheddar and Nugget, who are lounging in the big showy room at the very front. Nugget seems especially glad to have human company.

Then I see Melody, a precious and teensy 6 year old girl who’s white with tan and gray calico markings. She’s kneading on her blanket when I approach, but quickly comes to greet me. She’s super soft and sweet. Her ears are big with the cutest floppy tips. And in case that’s not all cute enough, she hops up to her perch by my head rubs the side of my head and cheek.

In answer to the frequently asked question to volunteers of "don’t you want to take them all home" – not all of them, but this one, yeah pretty much.

I answer some basic questions about kittens for a young couple. They’re just looking around though. There’s another frisky calico, Cannonball, farther down in hallway 5. She’s a cutie with a funny gray nose, wide-eyed expression, and an endearing combo of shy and goofy. She sniffs all around before settling down for some petting and play time, as JoJo next door watches from her perch above us.

A couple with a little boy ask to visit a cat. They strike me more as looking for a diversion for their kid than as serious adopters, but it’s still pretty slow. And the little boy is staring longingly at the cats. The mom stays outside, so just me and the boy interact with a friendly young cat.

The kid has dozens of questions, needing to know what’s this and why about every object in the room. But he listens to my answers, and it’s easy to slip in some info about how to act around animals (which his parents seem to have not taught him or not know themselves). He’s pretty psyched when the cat lets him stroke down the length of her back, and they both like playing with the cat toys.

The family takes off, satisfied, and I turn my attention to some young people who want to take home a kitten. I give my usual spiel about the extra needs, challenges, and rewards of raising kittens. But, as usual, the kittens answer a lot of questions about themselves too.

No comments: