Saturday, September 4, 2010

Nothing Like 37,000 People Watching Your Video Clip - Daisy

Picture this: the roar of the crowd, the crack of the bat… a perfect sunny day at the ballpark, an exciting game – and more than 800 dogs in attendance! Sunday was Dog Days at the Giant’s game, with adorable canine antics up on the jumbo screen between innings, plus clips of adoptable dogs from Maddie's. And my entire section heard me hooting and pointing when my boy Lukey was featured as the representative SPCA cat.

And guess what – he got adopted. (I think the adoption actually occurred sometime during the game; not sure if his new mom is a baseball person. But still, the publicity couldn’t hurt.) Darling boys Mel and Laurel also found homes since last week.

My shift starts out slow, and I settle in with Daisy, a timid and pretty tortie and white 9 year old I’m fond of, who’s been here for several months. She loves laps, but is wary of hands by her head. I pet her gently while she gets used to my presence. Soon she curls onto my lap. She likes to rub her chin around the edges of my apron and t-shirt – a little strange, but not unpleasant. She's a sweet girl, but easily overlooked, I'm afraid.

A couple come looking for a kitten to join their active household with little kids and an older cat. They find a good match, but worry about being to hasty or impulsive in their decision-making. I’m a reluctant witness to a bit of family dynamics and negotiations, as they decide to at least bring the kids in to meet the kitten.

Soon a steady stream of people are touring the place, some just checking out the cats for entertainment, others ready to take one home today. Most want kittens. I answer a lot of the same sorts of questions about whether they’re litter box trained and spayed or neutered (yes and yes). Plus a lot of other queries for which the answer is, um, hard to tell, or depends on the cat.

I’m nearly out the door when I spot a middle aged couple admiring shy little MacKenzie. They’re wonderfully patient with her, and seem to like the challenge of drawing her out and trying to win her over. They’ve just started their search and aren’t ready to commit yet, but I check out feeling hopeful that we’ll soon have another successful hard-to-place kitty adoption.

No comments: