Saturday, October 1, 2011

Someplace New – Crimson

The boyfriend and I both have out of town visitors – his niece and her boyfriend, young and eager to embark on adult life in San Francisco, and my brother and sister-in-law, on a long weekend vacation. It’s fun showing folks around, daunting to realize how long it’s been since I’ve been to many places on the regular tourist circuit, and a bit of a challenge squeezing regular activities.

Don’t mind the quiet interludes at Maddie’s. I’m glad to see that Shelle found a home! I spend probably the most peaceful 15 minutes of my week with a darling girl named Crimson. She’s a small and pretty tortie and white 7 year old, who curls immediately and trustingly into my lap. Her paperwork says she’s well traveled by both car and plane, and does well in carriers and with other animals. It’s all I can do to budge her off my lap though. She lounges there as long as she can, willing to bat at a toy only from its comfort.

I move on to help a couple who want an active kitten to go with a feisty adult cat at home. Even ruling out the shy Cherry Blossom’s they’ve seen a bunch of youngsters they think they’d like. But after just a few minutes with the first adorable and energetic 3 month old tabby, the guy says, "Let’s just get this one."

I encourage them to at least meet one more, and they do. Whereupon he decides probably that’s the one. I can offer advice about introducing the new kitten to the household, and note that most cats act a bit differently once they’re settled in their new homes. But it’s beyond me to make their decision.

Leaving them to ponder, I go to socialize a sweet shy bonded pair of lanky 1 year olds, improbably named Gene and Garfunkle. One’s black and white, the other white with orange tabby and super soft. Initially wary, they warm up fast, and rub, purr, and cutely bump noses. These guys will definitely relax in their own quiet place with a regular routine.

And it makes me think about the spotlight outside visitors put on ones regular quiet life. Yes, we’re tired after work and just want to enjoy a quiet meal at home; no, Saturday night bar hopping in the Mission doesn’t sound fun anymore. But still, good to know it’s all out there… and happy HSB weekend!

No comments: