Saturday, October 15, 2011

Hot Dogs, Cool Cats – Pooky

I see two different Dachshunds being walked on my way to Maddie’s, both looking cute and frisky despite the heat.

The cat folks are buzzing with the news that Tina Marie, who had been here for a year, finally got adopted, apparently by someone who noticed her at her window while walking by.

I start out with Pooky, a soft, sweet, lanky 12 year old black and white fellow. He’s a senior and bony compared to my young chunky boy, but they are alike in their gentle and affectionate natures. He climbs onto my lap, burrows his head in my arm, and purrs lovingly.

A woman comes to ask about a particular cat she saw online, only she can’t remember his name. I suggest she check the listing out front, but ask if any other cats have caught her eye. Sounding disappointed, she says that only one seemed interested and meowed at her.

It’s a challenge for all the staff, volunteers, and cats, to help the cats here show their best selves even during nap time or if they’re scared of shelter noises. Unlike dogs, your average cat won’t just come wiggling forward with its personality full on display.

A young couple are not quite sure what sort of cat they want. I show them a group of adorable kittens, describing the challenges and rewards of bringing up a youngster. They enjoy playing with the little ones, but seem not quite ready to make a commitment. Happily, I learn later that they’ve chosen a lovely and friendly FIV+ adult fellow – it’s wonderful to see him getting boxed up and sent off to his new home.

I chat with a woman who’s admiring a cute, needy half grown tabby who’s pawing at her window. She says it reminds her of a dog, and I have to agree that most cats are a bit more cagey with their raw emotions. She feels bad for the kitten, but I can at least assure her that this little one – with her in-your-face approach – will have no trouble finding a home.

No comments: