Saturday, March 20, 2010

Siamese (but not Twins) – Kurt & Courtney

Happy Spring! What a difference from a week ago – today I’m sure I’m not the only one having trouble dragging myself in from the 70+ sunshine.

I don’t expect big crowds at Maddie’s, although there are a few people waiting to enter right at 1pm. Checking in, I’m not surprised to see that Pickle Chips is gone, but pleased that shy Beatrice has finally found a home too.

We have an unusually large number of Siamese and Siamese mixes these days. Not sure why, but Hallway 3 is lined with them. I meet young bonded pair Kurt and Courtney; the names make sense as I observe their intense yet slightly prickly connection.

He’s a super soft, fluffy Lynx Point with slightly crossed eyes, and she’s a delicate and petite round faced Seal Point. Both cats are small and shy. But Kurt slinks his way onto my lap and snuggles there as if taking up permanent residence. Courtney rubs around too, but also wants to play and eat some kibble. Soon she joins the lap, though, and the two of them wash each others’ heads and backs. Kurt is so vigorous that he leaves her ears wet, and Courtney rears back at one point, squawking. Clearly, a daily routine.

There’s another adorable bonded pair next door. Both are bigger and feistier – Clinton is another Lynx Point, and Ani a big fluffy black and white girl. Two more good sized Siamese fellows keep an eye on things from across the hall. Fuji is long haired and declawed, and very outgoing, while Kentucky (named for the street where he was found) is extra shy.

I move on to my favorite shy girl, long hair calico Zoe Rock. At least she’s quick to leave her hiding spot, though she kind of stays crouched behind my legs as I sit cross legged. A woman who specifically wants a young long hair kitty comes in to meet her, but unfortunately little Zoe scoots away, overturning her kibble in her haste. I hardly need to explain her shyness in the face of it, but can at least assure the woman that Zoe is capable, after a few tries, of giving and receiving affection.

The woman is just starting her search, and moves on. Zoe comes back out and head butts my arm. Poor girl – wish she had a trusted companion to give her a daily head washing.

No comments: