Saturday, March 6, 2010

Second Hand Bargains - Pebbles

My favorite boots have finally started leaking to the point of uselessness after more than a decade of San Francisco winters. I’d like to get another identical pair, but they’re neither in style nor so old as to be back. But I hit Thrift Town on my way to Maddie’s, and pick up two decent (and waterproof!) pairs for $15.

I grew up with hand-me-downs, being the youngest and small. I kind of like stuff that’s been broken in already. On to the adoption center, where second hand bargains abound.

I’m immediately enticed by Pebbles, a sweet faced two year old slightly rotund tabby with a white bib and nose. Her paperwork says she came from a hoarder and had been living in filthy conditions with lots of other animals. She would do better as an only cat, and may have some litterbox issues; behavior counseling would be available to her adopters.

But she seems pretty well adjusted to me. She’s shy for perhaps thirty seconds, before hopping across my lap and winding around, purring and rubbing and drooling a bit. She’s playful too, and jumps after a toy, landing briefly in her kibble dish, startling us both. She gazes up at me forlornly when I stand to leave.

Down the hall, I work with another shy kitty, Mackerel. He’s a gentle Siamese mix who needs coaxing to venture out but loves being petted. His companion Flounder is a lovely and more outgoing Balinese. Happily, they get an adoption hold placed on them from somebody who saw them online. (Maybe they’ll get better names along with their new home?)

I chat with a woman who wants to meet big Chewey, although she’s just adopted a pair of cats and he’s a loner guy. She’s just drawn to that soulful look, as I am, and we pet him while he lolls on his rug. She tells me her cats at home are adjusting well, and it’s obvious she’s as pleased with them as they are with her.

There are not many visitors today, so I move on to another shy kitty, Zoe Rock, a transfer from Salinas. She’s a 6 year old calico long hair, super scared and hiding out. We sit for awhile, and she lets me pet her head. Finally, she ventures out to sniff around, her tail tucked awkwardly between her legs. She investigates her food and manages a bite or two, and slinks along my leg, purring while I pet her.

She’s in the same condo where I found my boy. He’d been scared like that too, but now he’s very comfortable in our home. Like Pebbles, he was rescued from a difficult multi-cat situation. He’d started his life elsewhere, but we’re both glad he got a second try with me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just discovered your writings. I'm thoroughly enjoying them. I lost my 17 year old cat last year and miss having a kitty in my life. I'm just gearing up to get another older cat in the next month at the SFSPCA so thank you for your insight. Appreciate it.