Saturday, January 23, 2010

Rainy Days - Tabitha

All these storms! No, not a big deal compared to the horrific scene in Haiti (or even – don’t get me started – the recent election in formerly blue MA). But too much water and scary noises for our animals.

My boy did pretty well at first, and stayed tucked under the covers with me on the bed until the thunder claps seemed directly overhead. Then he hightailed it to the designated cat hiding spot of the closet floor, behind and shedding on the low hanging stuff.

No leaks at least, more than I can say for Maddie’s, which has a couple drippy windows. At least it’s not overly crowded there these days, so the cats don’t have to put up with it directly.

My very first customer wants to adopt Sir Bentley, the fluffy former feral I found so charming when I met him last week. She’s a nice middle aged cat savvy type who’s already made up her mind, but we go in for a quick confirmation visit. He lolls happily while she strokes him, and we discuss his awesomeness.

Another Fix Our Ferals kitty is having a harder time adjusting to people – Tabitha is a teensy 2 year old tabby girl. I go in and sit with her for awhile. She mostly stays squeezed behind her climbing structure, but she does love being petted, and arches and purrs when I reach back to her.

She ventures out with a nervous slightly puffy tail, lets me pet her some more, and has a lick or two of her food. But hallways noise sends her scooting back to her safe spot. There, she rolls onto her back, paws curled awkwardly in. I think she’ll be a bit of a goofball once she finally relaxes.

With only a few people coming by, I spend extra time with another shy girl, sweet all black Beatrice. She at least is comfortable sitting on my lap, and even plays for a few minutes. (Her notes mention that she likes to eat her toys, so I keep an eye on the dangle toy as she works it over.) I check to see if Tabitha can see this nice normal behavior.

All of us watch the arrival of some new kitties down the hall. One immediately takes cover, another – a big orange tabby from Stockton – circles the room and then starts meowing at his door. Guess who’s mostly likely to go home first. But you know what? Even the cats who freak out from rain can make someone a very good companion.

No comments: