Friday, January 8, 2010

Moving Picture Vs. Snapshot – Chaka

Dozens of shelter cats found homes in the past couple weeks. It’s heartening to see empty condos, and shy new faces peeking out from where long timers like both our Luigis used to reside.

High volunteer to cat and ca customer ratio today, which allows for nice long visits with the remaining and brand new kitties. I pay homage to charming Chaka, a 9 year old orange long hair Persian mix. Her smush face and stubby paws notwithstanding, this girl is all dignity and grace. She purrs longa nd loud, and utters a few demanding meows before settling on my lap, arching her chin for my hand and blinking her eyes in contentment.

Volunteers can also give full individualized attention to potential adopters, a change from the holiday season rush. I help a guy who’s lost his companion of 14 years. He’s not sure what he’slooking for but knows he’s ready for another feline in his life. He seems to fall pretty hard for Chutney, an adorable tabby newly arrived from Stockton, but decides to keep looking around.

A young woman has several cats she wants to meet. She’s recently adopted her first cat and loves her so much she wants another. Predictably, she’s charmed by each cat we visit, and she asks how I can resist not bringing them all home.

Though part of me has imagined Chaka lounging at home with Montana,a study in contrast, I tell her that over the long haul, I’m confident about all my favorites ending up in loving homes. A first tour of Maddie’s might seem overwhelming; you just have to understand that the whole process takes time.

I’m reminded of some small boys I met here last week, a group of five (!) being shepherded around by a single dad. Three appeared to be brothers, the others presumably adopted or foster kids, but all of them were quiet and respectful of the cats. I showed a cat to just a pair of the kids at first.

After a few minutes of whispers and gentle pets, the older boy confided to me that he really loves cats. I could tell, he loved cats the way I do, which is a whole lot. I was determined to find the right pet for this group, and consulted with a couple staffers. A household with five little boys needed a special cat. They suggested a friendly outgoing youngster, and I went back to find the family.

The dad and boys I’d talked to were excited to meet another cat. But one of the smaller boys was crying,crying pretty hard, tears running down his face. He had just come to understand the nature of the shelter, the older boy explained. He was upset and sad that there were so many homeless cats.

I tried to comfort him, to explain that things would look up for these cats one day soon. But what cheered him up was getting to go in and pet Mr. Man, the cat they decided to take home.

No comments: