Saturday, December 5, 2009

Wag More - Maya

Heading to Maddie’s, I pass a car out front, clearly a dog hauling vehicle, with a bumper sticker that says "Wag More, Bark Less." Seems a fitting motto for this time of year, busy and full of obligations that sometimes feel more like chores than festivities and family ties.

It was a banner weekend last week, adoption wise. But for now, the place is pretty quiet. I hang out with my girls Puff and Carrie, who reside across from each other and are both anxious for attention. Puff never stops moving, butting my arms and legs with her wet nose, rubbing and purring.

She stays at her door watching me across the hall. A young couple stop and coo at her, and Puff stays resolutely at her door, even standing up to stretch up toward them. They smile, but move off regretfully.

A boisterous group come in, followed by a dad and daughter who’s maybe three. He explains that a family member has allergies, but the little girl is fascinated by cats. He reads out their names as she stands, animated and nose level to the cats, looking in.

Soon all the cats in hallway too are at their doors, excited by the commotion, except for shy Maya. She’s a sweet, soft, long hair 3 year old, mostly white with black patches and tail. She’s good sized but it’s hard to tell, since she tends to curl up half hidden.

Once the people have moved on, Maya ventures out to my lap and relaxes as I pet her. Looking up at me, she appears to be smiling. Another dad with a somewhat older daughter stop and watch us. Maya tenses a little but bravely stays put. Actually she seems ready to camp out for the afternoon curled up on my lap, and I’m sorry to leave before she’s had her fill of companionship.

But another group of young people want to meet some kittens. Maddie’s has a surprisingly large number of youngsters for this time of year, so there’s quite a variety to choose from, and we get acquainted with a couple different kitten groups.

I get the impression they’re doing this more for entertainment than really getting ready to adopt. But it’s a pleasant diversion for all of us, the homeless kittens especially. Having fun where we can find it.

No comments: