Saturday, December 19, 2009

It’s Beginning to Feel a Lot Like – Ritz!

The Mission area streets are crowded with shoppers, but the adoption center has a more standard Friday assortment of people wandering around. I’ve gotten my year end packages, cards and donations mailed off, and am ready to relax over the long holiday weekend (and glad not to be flying off to somewhere snowy and cold).

Hallway 5 is full of red hearts indicating cats who’ve gone days without a volunteer visit. I settle in with Bebe, a darling 2 year old soft black long hair with big yellow eyes. Her card says she can get worked up and nip, but all she does is crawl into my lap and curl up with her fluffy tail covering her nose, purring happily. I try to tempt her with a toy, but she’s more into lolling like a rag doll.

There are several other sweet black and white kitties along the hall – young Maddy and Choir, and playful older girl Molly. A heavy set couple come by looking for a new cat after losing their long time companion. No one seems quite right, and it seems like they may more time to deal with their loss.

A second couple come by, the woman reading the cats’ names and bios in a baby talk. They coo at some of the cats but no one seems to catch their eyes either. Or it’s more like every single one does, but they’re not sure who to meet.

Another volunteer asks if I’ve met Ritz, thinking I’d probably like him. I go check him out, and she’s right, he’s awesome. He’s a trim 10 year old brown tabby with narrow stripes, a friendly meow, and the biggest, widest eyes ever. I go in just to say hello, and in minutes he’s standing on my lap and licking my arm like we’re total pals. It’s hard to articulate, but the little dude is packed with charisma.

I hope he goes home for the holidays; he’ll make an excellent addition to some lucky household. Back in the main corridor, a staffer passes, holding up a tiny Santa suit and exclaiming she needs to find the best cat to wear it. Yep, it’s that time of year. Here’s hoping for more holiday magic…

No comments: