Saturday, July 18, 2009

Summer School - Penelope

I show up a bit worse for wear from having been out late at my workplace fundraiser (successful event, but pretty exhausting for staff). Not displeased at a quiet start to my shift.

I hang out with Monkey. She’s an all around swell cat, and really does seem younger than her age. She’s friendly, chatty, and even bats at the toy I wave around for her. Elsewhere in the hall, Kincaid and Teyana are content with simple petting and lap lounging.

After an hour or so, I’m refreshed and ready for the less bridled energy of active cats and visiting children. I meet Penelope, a darling little 3 year old skittish all black girl. She launches herself on and off my lap, squirming and rubbing, almost dancing around. A couple children enter the hall, then a couple more, and I realize it’s not a big family but another school group on tour.

The first ones see me inside the condo (awesome as a human in a zoo, their expressions indicate), and soon a bunch of them gather at the door, noses pressed to it, jaws dropping flatteringly. I move the dangle toy so that Penelope chases it right in front of them, and they giggle with delight. Penelope doesn’t seem at all bothered by this rapt audience, and alternates between playing and winding herself around me affectionately.

Even though the kids’ visit is just educational, I like seeing the school groups here. Not only are they clearly enthralled, one or two of them might just decide to return at some point with parents in tow. Penelope seems like a good candidate to mature along with an active family.

On my way out, I stop to admire some pictures tacked up near the volunteer station. People who’ve adopted sometimes send in stuff about the cats they brought home, and Tugboat’s new family has sent several pictures. He looks enormously happy, along with just enormous – and my day is officially made.

No comments: