Saturday, July 11, 2009

Petty Theft - Monkey

High drama at Maddie’s this week. A tiny black partially blind kitten was stolen sometime Wednesday afternoon. They checked the security cameras but couldn’t locate a perp. Local media were contacted, and apparently it was a slow news day, because the story got coverage. Facebook missives are circulating too.

I guess we all hope the thief just didn’t want to pay the adoption fee. Volunteers were told that if the kitten is turned in, to just accept it, no questions asked. Unfortunately, it’s not the first kitten theft.

Many years back, these were apparently more common, so they started locking the kittens in their cages. This made for a cumbersome process to show the kittens, with volunteers needing to check out a key and tangle with a lock to even get to a kitten. Having them in groups in the condos is nicer for the kittens, and easier for us. But I can see how a theft – at least of a non-meower – could occur. It gets pretty chaotic in the kitten area, even with volunteers around. And there are times when volunteers and staffers are not on hand.

And yes, I see the irony.

I’m pleased to learn that Baby’s gone home. Older guy Felix is still here, though, chatty and sweet as ever. He’s lounging happily on my lap when a massive group of kids, 30 or so, all with polka dot bandannas, crowd into hallway 5. They’re from a school, touring the place. Good kids, quiet and attentive. Felix chooses to ignore them, however, and looks up at me to make sure I focus on petting him.

The tour guide points out the TVs in some of the condos, and the back wall of windows that some lucky cats like Felix have. She says there’s a guy who comes in the morning and practices Tai Chi with the cats all watching.

I go down the hall to see Starbuck. He’s a precious skinny little 2 year old orange tabby, a "love bug" boy. I think of the Battlestar Galactica character, but he’s nothing like her, he’s shy and sweet. He accepts some head rubbing and cautiously hops down. I gently pull him into my lap, and he’s so nervous at first that he stays right where he landed. But then he relaxes, purring, guiding my hand with his head for maximum behind the ears petting.

Of course then he wants to stay permanently glued to my lap, and I have to tempt him with the remains of his breakfast to manage to stand up again. What a sweetie. This hall is full of tabbies – beautiful 16 (!) year old Monkey, frisky 9 year old Kincaid, and tiny kittenish Abigail all nose their doors, waiting for company. We're all hoping the charming and outgoing Monkey finds herself a good home fast. She's wonderful company.

There are a few people walking around, most in the "just looking" phase. A mother and daughter stay for a good hour or more, checking out a bunch of cats, pretty pleased with every one of them. And they’re just narrowing it down for other family members to come tomorrow.

I poke my head into the kitten hall on my way out. Except for some scrambling around, all quiet.

No comments: