Saturday, April 18, 2009

Welcome to the World, Bo-bama - Raven

Can I just say, enough with the complaining and let’s have a moment of gratitude for the sweet visage of our unbelievably cute First Pup? It’s a darn good match for a family with a high profile and allergy issues.

I keep hoping I’ll see Raven’s paperwork in the recently adopted file. But no such luck, so I make her my first visit. She’s a beautiful, affectionate, and super soft all black long hair three year old girl. They’ve got her classified as a "love bug," which means a little shy about the world but very devoted to people.

That’s how I’d guess my Montana would be rated. Raven’s housed in his small former condo in hallway 2, which also makes me sad to see her still week after week. (He only resided there for a week before I brought him home.)

She’s about half his size, which is to say normal sized and slender. She curls into my lap, gently purring, and I pet her with one hand on her head and one on her belly as she squirms happily. She even bats at a toy from that position, feet and tail splayed. With my company, she manages to tune out the noise of the condo next door being cleaned out. A couple of people passing by smile in at us, but not with any real interest, and I wonder what it will take to make a match for this precious kitty.

I cross the hall and meet Messier, a stately and charming 13 year old Maine Coon mix. (He’s named after a hockey player; he’s quite clean.) This guy had to be surrendered when his former family had kids and he couldn’t deal with it and stopped eating. He’s still quite thin, but seems to be adjusting to Maddie’s pretty well.

We both watch as they finish clearing out the empty condo. Then a staffer carries in a black and white cat bare handed. A moment later, she appears again with Puff Daddy, and I realize he and Norman are getting new digs. They’re a bit anxious, but sniff around curiously.

I spend some time with them to help them get used to the place. Puff Daddy stays partially hidden at first but eventually hops down to be petted. A woman with a cute little boy appears and asks if they can meet the cats. She carefully admonishes the kid to be quiet and gentle, then they tip toe in.

Norman’s cool – he likes being petted even by a child who’s still learning which is his front end. Puff Daddy sticks with me but does allow the woman to pet him and admire his chubby cheeks. She tells me about the FIV+ cat she had, that he was also sweet like these two. The kid is well behaved – also sleepy – and soon they thank me and take off.

I move on to hallway 5 to check on Maya, who was unfortunately returned. Apparently she didn’t get along with the cats already in her adoptive home. Poor girl. She seems her normally contented self, but I wish she could find herself the laps and loving she so craves.

Match making is just not always easy when it comes to cats.

No comments: