Friday, April 10, 2009

Diversions - Puff Daddy

I go in to volunteer a day early to accommodate work, which hasn’t been very pleasant this week. Nor has the daily news; the Chronicle – which I’m still buying! – is filled with depressing headlines.

So I stop at Arinell’s for a slice of amazing pizza. It’s only been open for minutes but there’s a line, and I share the little space with a boisterous family, an awed tot and grandma, and a couple constructions workers. I finish eating on the way to Maddie’s, and suddenly the rain diminishes and I’m filled with memories of better times. It’s that good. (Am I shallow, or highly evolved?)

I’m pleased to see that Mirka as well as Joey and Gracie have been adopted. There’s a Spring Break camp in session, so the shelter’s full of apron-clad kids and the animals are getting extra attention. They’ve put up some cutely decorated framed photos of the cats, and are paying visits, two to a cat, to the more outgoing kitties.

An older man and probably his daughter approach, looking for kittens or youngish cats. We go in to meet a couple skittish young things. He’s surprisingly agile in spite of his cane and crouches, petting and playing with the cats. But he’s not even close to deciding on them, and it’s possible this is more of a diversion than anything else.

Another pair, a French sounding guy and his helpful gal pal, want specifically to see short haired gray or white cats. One of the young campers suggests Frosty, and I show him and a couple others. The guy has very exacting standards and rejects several possibilities with only a glance, saying it’s something he can just feel in his heart. He’s kind of charming, though I feel a bit defensive on behalf of the cats. There’s more to it than looks!

Speaking of less than perfect, I get acquainted with Puff Daddy and Norman, two young, tough looking, FIV positive guys who were picked up from the street. Puff Daddy is a brown tabby with the cutest chubby face imaginable, in contrast to his slender and partially shaved lower body. Norman is a big eyed black and white fellow, with scratches on his nose and slightly chewed looking ears.

You’d think two toms sharing a small space would have territory issues, but they’re fine. They both rub around for me to pet them, and bump noses politely. Puff Daddy even gives Norman a little washing around his ears. Except for being a little nervous about noises, these guys are pretty pleased with the shelter and the prospect of new indoor homes. They go after their kibble like me with my pizza, psyched and inattentive to anything else.

No comments: