Saturday, March 7, 2009

Still Looking for Love - Maya

My first Maddie’s potential customers are a mom and adult daughter who could pass for sisters. They’re still figuring things out as far as their ideal pet – the mom definitely wants a girl cat, while the daughter plans to check out the dogs too. I take it she’s newly moved back in to Mom’s place. The two of them enjoy each other’s company, but I’m guessing there could be some bumps in the road in this reformatted relationship. There’s some give and take in any relationship, even those with pets, right?

Back on Valentine’s Day, they put up some cute "personal ads" for several of the cats, including ten year old Maya. She really is a sweetie – a pretty big eyed brown tabby with a loud purr and open heart who is indeed looking for love. She has a stiff legged walk from arthritis and a bit of a low belly, but she’s still got a streak of kittenish playfulness. She purrs constantly around people, delighted with human company, and I extend our visit, hoping someone will come by and see her curled so nicely on my lap.

Across the hall from her, little Otis is making progress. He’s no longer hiding and even stood meowing at his door for a moment when I approached. Good get-adopted behavior at the shelter. We bond for awhile, and he stays visible and looking out his window when I leave, not even bothered by the sad little meows from another condo.

I peek around and find a formerly feral "cherry blossom" kitten named Ferdinand housed next door. He’s an adorable little gray tabby who hides when he sees me and emits a teensy little hiss, followed by gentle mewing. But then he sniffs my hand and allows his head to be rubbed. Still, he keeps a watchful eye on the hallway.

But I expect he’ll go home soon anyway. He’s got looks and kittenhood on his side so he can get away with some bad date behavior. Maya, who’s now curled up in her cozy with a contented expression, will have to wow her suitors with pure personality.

No comments: