Saturday, March 21, 2009

Antidote - Trixie

It’s been a tough week; I’ve had unpleasantness launched from multiple directions (disturbing news via email and scary bank statements at home; grant rejections and copier salesmen at work; don’t even start about AIG bonuses or the 6th anniversary of the Iraq invasion…). So I’ve been looking forward to doing something positive at the shelter.

Of course I want Maya to get adopted, but she’s still here, and a comforting presence. Oreo is making progress – he comes immediately out of hiding when I go in to visit him, barely shivers, and bravely eats.

Down the hall, I spot Trixie, a 4 year old tabby calico mix. My Muppy had a litter of kittens just before I found her, years ago now, but when I see this coloring I wonder about lineage. Especially with a notation about a funny meow and prickly attitude (Trixie’s graciously described as "can get a little worked up").

This girl is much better adjusted though. She gives a couple deep voiced squawks, then starts purring and weaving around and over my legs. She’s got a cute little orange face with a narrow white stripe, and pretty tabby markings. Trixie is a little too jittery to settle in my lap, but she’s very sweet. People walking by make her take notice, but she stays visible and looks interested.

A number of people are just wandering the hallways, seemingly not that interested in the cats. I show a young mostly white kitty to a couple who have an elderly dachshund mix at home. Not sure if that’s an ideal match, but the cat at least seems adaptable.

Then I help a young couple who are looking for a companion for their young cat, who had grown up with another cat who just left. (The woman doesn’t quite explain how this happened, but I pick up that it wasn’t a good situation at home.) She seems emotionally a little fragile, but very sensitive and perceptive in the animal care area.

They specifically want a cat who’s good with other cats, and meet several. I accompany them to visit Crisp, a lovely year old orange and Siamese mix. It feels like an excellent match to me – they both adore the cat, who moves between us, cute and loving. She’s not quite sure. I think it bothers her to chose a sure to be adopted cutie when there are needier animals at the shelter.

They’re still pondering when I take off. But I’m feeling better; maybe they were my antidote.

No comments: