Monday, July 14, 2008

How 'bout a Group Hug? - Donna

My territory is suddenly infused with campers. Herds of them romp on the closest hiking trail, and the summer camp is in full swing at Maddie’s. Not exactly my scene; I’ve never been big on gatherings of children, not even as a child. Then as now, I’m more comfortable relating to one or two at a time. I sure would have enjoyed the cat aspect of this camp as a kid, just not having to be outgoing and part of a loud group.

I do enjoy outgoing kitties. (Ok, I pretty much like all cats. But I mean as opposed to preferring less demonstrative people.) Donna and Kellie, for instance, are a delightful bonded pair, both strikingly pretty three year old torbis. Donna’s a short hair and Kellie long, and they’re both classed as Leader of the Band, the most sociable and brave of cats.

Donna shoots right out the door when I open it, in fact, and we have a comic little interlude of me trying to herd her back, then finally lifting and tossing her back in order to fend off Kellie’s escape. Oops. Fortunately no campers are there to witness this. Donna’s wonderful, purring and rubbing, meowing into my face, putting her paws up on my shoulder then kind of guiding my hand forward to lick it. Kellie circles, us also rubbing happily.

In the hallway, a staffer leads a family to Kiley’s condo, and we all three watch. Kiley’s another outgoing girl, a sweet young friendly tabby. (It’s beyond me to understand how anyone could have given any of these cats up.) The parents look young to even be married much less have a kid of six or so. But the three of them stand smiling as the staffer boxes Kiley, and loads them down with supplies – instructions, food, litter, litterbox, etc. They leave talking excitedly, the little girl proudly carrying Kiley in her cardboard carrying case.

"That could be you soon, girls," I tell them, and they cock their precious heads, flatteringly responsive. It’s tougher for a pair to get adopted. We’ve had some other, shyer pairs here for several weeks now. B ut these girls are such rambunctious winners, I see a bright future for them. Lots of people like group activities and romping fun.

No comments: