Saturday, July 5, 2008

Happy Holiday - Gabriel

The shelter is teeming with both customers and volunteers on the day before Independence Day. Lots of people starting the long weekend early, plus Maddie’s has temporarily discounted costs to get the kittens and longer term cats moving. (I’m a little skeptical about this, I mean half price kitten sale, is that what we want to motivate people to adopt? But, hey, if you’re thinking of adopting anyway, now’s a good time to save some bucks.)

And may I just say, on behalf of pets in homes and shelters everywhere, the 4th of July is a sucky holiday. How does it bum me out, let me count the ways… explosions, loud booms, things on fire, crowds, air pollution, grilling of processed animal flesh, mindless consumerism and thoughtless flag waving... For the animals, even the bravest are troubled by the climactic noises of the evening, and it falling on a Friday won’t help. Yeah, half the state’s on fire, but let’s all run out and buy M-80s.

Here, today, is more what I would seek if designing a holiday. Smiling people wandering the corridors, discussing the merits of various cats. Quiet moments with the kitties, making those matches. Purrs and licks.

I show Appolonia, a pretty shy and slender little tabby, to a nice mellow couple. They’re gentle and quiet, and cautious in their approach to her. This little girl started out very scared and is just blossoming a bit after several weeks (and let’s hope the fireworks don’t throw her for a loop). Now she weaves around between us, rubbing and our nudging hands, and the guy in particular seems taken with her. The man and woman communicate easily, just murmuring a few phrases back and forth, and make decisions in the comfortable way of people in a good long term relationship. Happily, they want to adopt her, and hurry off to start the paperwork, as the shelter is closing early.

I continue to the end of the hallway, where charming Gabriel is casting a spell on me. What a sweet pretty boy, a big striped tabby, outgoing and playful. He’s housed with Mandolina and Marco, both affectionate young black and white cats. Poor Marco has seen a series of roommates come and go, but the good news is he’s getting along with the roomies fine now. Good thing, because Gabriel is a washer.

You can probably divide even the world of cat people into those who do and don’t like being licked by a friendly sandpaper tongue. I like it fine, and apparently so does Marco. So here we sit – Marco curled possessively on my lap, licking his own paw, Mandolina on a stool behind me, purring loudly as she nuzzles my hair, and sweet Gabriel, eyes blinking contentment as he goes back and forth from licking my arm to a thorough grooming of Marco’s face and neck.

This is my holiday.

No comments: