Monday, May 12, 2008

Young Toughs - Captain

There have been a spate of muggings in my normally safe neighborhood. Seems ironic that one might be more at risk in Glen Park than in the kind of sketchy stretch of 16th Street between BART and Maddie’s.

Either area, as a pedestrian, I stay alert. So I notice when six or seven young men cross 16th in front of me. They’re dressed in gangster style, with the baggy low slung pants dipping below butt level, dark sweat shirts, cool mumblings to each other as they shuffle along.

I don’t actually think I’ll be mugged at 11 am, but I slow down a bit, not wanting to barge amongst them on the sidewalk either. They surprise me by turning toward the shelter, and as I catch up enough to hear their conversation, it’s about Jack Russell Terriers.

They head off to the dog side. I tell myself not to judge by appearance. I mean, I don’t think it’s a school holiday and these boys are naughty enough to be skipping class, but the fact is they’re probably just buddies who like dogs, hanging out. They dress how city kids dress.

Half hour or so later, I visit Captain, a new 3 year old black and white kitty. At first glance it looks like he’s had some fur shaved, but no, he’s just got a big head on a slender body. Male cats who aren’t neutered young develop big cheeks like that, and I assume that’s the case with Captain.

The majority of the cats at Maddie’s were very clearly someone else’s pet, dainty and fastidious and used to human affection. This guy, I can picture having been on the street. He’s still a bit scruffy, and very alert to every noise and movement. But what a sweetheart. Yeah, the Captain is loving life with humans now, the two squares a day, the play time and attention.

A pair of the young toughs come into the hallway, grinning shyly at the cats. A middle aged woman customer gives them a smile. Away from the other guys, here with the homeless cats, they’re just nice young men. Like sweet chubby cheeked Captain, just needing a good setting to bring out his best.

No comments: