Sunday, May 18, 2008

Keeping Cool - Herndon


It’s been such a huge week for news – locally, a fine step forward for civil rights, internationally, the massive, unfathomable tragedies unfolding for the cyclone and earthquake victims. So my problem seems very small.

But, dang, it’s been so hot! Got air conditioning? Um, none at all. (And not to belabor the big issue list with global warming, but I’m pretty sure I made it through a good part of the 80s in SF without even owning a pair of shorts.) Downtown’s been stifling and weird, with tourists properly attired for the conditions and wilted looking business people in odd cobbled together summer outfits.

One of the many amenities at Maddie’s is that it’s air conditioned. And that doesn’t suck on day three of the heat wave. Although it doesn’t seem to be good cat shopping conditions, and the only member of the public I talk to is a woman who’s lost her cat within the week. It’s so raw she can’t even talk about it. She comes in and pets a couple cats, but I gently suggest it’s probably too soon to do more than that yet.

But I’m keeping cool. I meet Herndon for the first time. He’s a striking long hair silver tabby, but one of those gorgeous guys who cares nothing for his looks. While I admire his soft pale undercoat and gloriously full tail, he just wants to chase the dangle toy.

He darts around all over his condo. Then pauses for a drink of water, and goes about this in a way I’ve never witnessed: he dips his large right paw into the water, cups some, and drinks from his paw. It’s weird and funny. And a bit splashy, especially when he follows it up by charging around some more, leaving wet paw tracks on the floor and across my legs.

He’s one cool kitty. And available.

1 comment:

Mandy Lou said...

What a handsome little guy he is.

I envy you, getting to work with those cuties all the time - must be such fun.