Saturday, December 3, 2011

Window Shopping – Ashe & Empire

Good news from the volunteer coordinator – we’ve had a banner couple weeks at Maddie’s, with dozens of cats and dogs finding new homes, including a couple senior kitties who had been challenging to place. Empty condos!

I’m a little surprised to see bonded pair Ashe and Empire are still here. If you know anyone looking for an adorable and loving matched set of cats, these are the boys. They’re devoted 3 year olds, sweet, soft, pretty, friendly and bright. Though they have two sets of food dishes and two litter boxes, they clearly prefer to share.

Golden eyed solid gray Empire settles on my lap, while gray tabby Ashe stands nearby, enjoying head rubs. His little pink tongue pokes out in pleasure, as both of their purr motors rev.

Apparently they smell interesting too, as two different calicos I go visit, Vicky and Lulu, insist on a full sniff down of my apron before agreeing to be petted.

It’s quiet, so there’s quality time for the shy kitties. I’m in with a couple timid all black youngsters when a pair of young moms arrive, exclaiming over the gorgeousness of every cat they see. They’re taking a little break before picking up kids from school, just window shopping. One has a ring tone that sounds like an old fashioned phone, which startles both me and the cats both times it rings.

Later on, I introduce a soft spoken, burly dude to a precious little tabby named Bit. He gently strokes her, his big hand a contrast to her delicate head. I try to draw him out a little as far as cat experience, and he admits that he can’t actually have a cat just now. He’s living in a room in a small share, soon to be evicted. I can see he’s wondering if I’ll now ask him to leave, but I don’t. The little cat is blossoming with his attention, and this is the kind of window shopping we can all understand.

No comments: