Saturday, November 12, 2011

Cat Fix – Cricket

Hello winter. The dreary drippy day is ideal for curling up with a good book, a warm kitty, or both. I’m glad to see a few people there as Maddie’s opens. Although the first guy I talk to, a burly tattooed dude on his knees flirting with a pair of kittens, tells me he’s actually thinking of adopting a dog. Another group of people is cooing at almost every window, but when I ask if they have a cat in mind to meet, a woman exclaims, "all of them." We agree that they’ll try to narrow it down.

My attention is drawn to Cricket, an adorable 3 year old calico. She’s super chatty, hence the name, sweet and alert and anxious for my full attention. She rubs, purrs, chirps, and winds her way all around. After awhile leans next to me, more subdued but still purring.

Across the hall, gentle Carmelita eyes us both. She’s a mellower, quieter, older girl, of the same physical type, a tortie with white feet. She can be quite shy but does like to cuddle, and she settles contentedly next to my legs. I’m not sure which of these pretty kitties I’d choose if I had to, but I can certainly recommend them both.

I find a young woman sitting and interacting with a cute little tabby. In a charming accent, she explains that she can’t get a cat but misses hers back home, who looks like this one. I ask if she’d like to come in and help socialize this friendly threesome of cats – it’s nice to have a second person with more than two cats in a room, and she clearly loves cats and wants to pet little Simone.

Glad she does, as it turns out we have friends in common. Which seem odd and yet isn’t; after awhile SF really does feel like a big small town. We sit and talk and pet the two bolder young male cats. And slowly, she’s able to draw out the little tabby, who is hesitant at first but then leans into the gentle hand petting her, blinking in satisfaction.

We stand to leave, and she thanks me. And I tell her the obvious, that the cats enjoyed her company as much as she did theirs. But I can remember being in a foreign place, needing my cat fix. It’s a simple thing, nice to be able to help someone else with it.

No comments: