Saturday, June 11, 2011

Body Language – Ivory

There are people arriving as the doors open an Maddie’s, always a good thing. First up, a hefty tattooed guy and his gal pal – he wants a kitten to join older cats at home. He’s already got a couple "all stars" (adaptable, not shy) in mind.

Good thing, because he likes to kind of manhandle them as part of his affectionate interaction. Seems like a bit of a control thing. One kitten squirms in what looks to me like a pretty obviously uncomfortable way. But happily, he chooses a cutie who lounges in his arms, purring and cool with the baby doll positioning.

I move on to visit pretty, all white Ivory. He’s a sweet and friendly 9 year old who craves human interaction. He rubs, purrs, sniffs, has a bite of kibble, and circles around me as I sit cross legged. Something’s not quite right; Ivory kind nudges at me until I extend my legs into a more traditional lap. Then he hops on and curls up, contented.

I’ve enjoyed observing cat body language since I was a child, learning to exchange blinks with my boy Mystery. It’s fun to explain it to little kids, and give them tips on what to watch for – cats can communicate in pretty clear language, with no grammar necessary.

I talk to a young man who’s considering adopting his first cat in his own place. It’s a studio, and he’s wondering if a small or younger cat would do better in a small space. I suggest that energy level is a factor too, that a mellow older cat would probably be fine. There are many ways to entertain a cat in a small space – happens here every day.

He keeps looking around, and I return to the cat visits. Pretty calico Carrie is newly arrived from Yolo. She’s a dainty young thing who’s curled in a safe spot. She ventures out almost immediately, and rubs around adorably. She seems pretty relaxed. But her tail stays a little puffed out, giving away her nervousness at shelter life.

No comments: