Saturday, May 7, 2011

Things They're Missing – Charlie

Like many cats, my boy sometimes seems to just materialize unexpectedly. As far as I know he’s dozing on the couch as I comb my hair in the bathroom, then I glance over and he’s sitting in the doorway, solemnly watching me, as if he’s been there for hours.

That sort of thing used to bother my father, who never warmed to the cats we had as kids. He called them sneaky. But I don’t mind. There are only a few things Montana wants – cuddles, brushing, food – and I kind of take it for granted that he’s monitoring me.

Visiting the cats at Maddie’s, though, I’m struck by all the human/pet routines these sweet kitties lack. Many of them are quite attentive to any human movement outside their doors.

I start out with Charlie, a big 10 year old all white fellow. He’s fluffy and soft, and friendly. He sniffs around, purring, and squeezes next to me, blinking up happily as I pet him. I get him to play a little – he can use the exercise, and he’s pretty agile for his size – but what he really wants is to cuddle there, pressing heavily on my side.

Gray tabby Buster gazes at us from across the hall, and I go in to say hello. He’s a super soft, somewhat odd looking 7 year old, with a crooked tail, narrow pointed face and dilated yellow eyes. At first he chirps and circles, wary of being stroked. But after some minutes of getting used to me sitting there, he decides being petted is okay, and gradually relaxes. He sits up tall next to me, leaning into my hand and he looks like he’s smiling. Clearly a routine this guy could use every day.

A young couple come by, with some questions about cats in general, what’s involved in taking care of one. The guy seems both unmoved by the sweet faces looking out from their condos, and indifferent to the whole conversation. They’re out a lot, and they like to go places on weekends, he finally says as much to her as to me.

I tell them they’re welcome to at least look around, but it’s pretty clear a cat’s not in their immediate future. The young woman squats at another doorway, nose to nose with a new tabby cutie from Yolo, then they both leave the hall. It’s not just the cats who are missing the pet connection.

The Ghost Family e-book available: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/36248
Kindle version
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004W82NBU

No comments: