Saturday, March 19, 2011

Hard Rain – Alicia

It’s a gray day, with intermittent dumping rain. And I’m remembering April of 25 years ago: I was living in London, and stood outside, tipping up my umbrella to watch the first rainfall after Chernobyl. Horrified, knowing just the bare bones of what had happened, but aware of what could be falling from the sky.

Now, I’m not off stockpiling iodine or anything, but just feel sad about the situation in Japan, and frustrated that simple, serious conservation is so rarely in the mix of energy discussions. (As I walk and take transit to my volunteer gig.)

Sweet girl Alicia makes a nice rainy day companion. She’s an 8 year old "sidekick," just your basic cat – soft, small, all gray, cuddly with a touch of goofy. She hops onto my lap, and eases a paw and her little chin up toward my chest, purring happily. I whisper to her the good news that the funny cat and dog pair from last week went home Sunday.

Several volunteers have braved the rain to come in, but there aren’t many potential adopters. So I spend some awhile with a friendly young nanny and her two charges. She’s considering signing up as a volunteer and the older kid is interested in the summer camp, so it doesn’t feel like a total waste of time, even if the kids are admittedly just looking for a cat to play with (their senior kitty at home apparently sleeps rather than plays).

We find several friendly kitties who enjoy the interactions. One pair of feisty guys go leaping after the toys, startling the small boy who got them riled up. Both kids are bright, careful with the animals, and listen respectfully to the adults.

They head off, and I settle in to socialize my sweet boy Stallone. He’s made good progress – his nose is healing and he curls almost immediately in my lap. In the hall, I hear a couple people talking about that video from the tsunami aftermath, of the dog who led rescuers back to his wounded dog buddy.

This was the first animal story I’d seen from the devastation. I know there’s been terrible, tragic loss of life, and no doubt countless beloved pets lost. Somewhere out there, though, hoping for another glimmer of hope.

No comments: