Friday, December 10, 2010

Oh Yeah, the Quiet Moments - Maggie

Switched days off to accommodate my work holiday party, and I tried to squeeze in gift shopping on my way to Maddie's. (The boyfriend's family has multiple round robin exchanges with complex rules.) So I arrive a bit late and frazzled.

There are a few people wandering around, and I try to stay visible. Ten year old Maggie is in a prime condo in hallway 4, face right up at her door as I approach. She's a long hair calico with an interesting, intelligent look, big pretty eyes, and large splayed feet. There are watery paw prints around her spilled dish, and she's got shaved areas. I'm thinking, not the world's neatest kitty.

But she's friendly and sweet, purring and rubbing that funny face around me. She surprises me by being quite agile in going after a toy. Then she settles on the floor across from me, looking like a proud lion (I know she's a girl, but she's got a veritable mane).

I show a couple young cats to a man who's recently lost his. He's considering adopting two, and I talk up our bonded pairs. But his pace is slow, he's still mourning his loss.

Another young couple are looking for a kitten to go with their fiesty young cat. Many of our more outgoing youngsters are at the Macy's windows http://www.sfspca.org/about-us/press/press-releases/san-francisco-spca-and-macys-team-24th-annual-macys-holiday-windows-pe . It's adorable, but not the best place for a timid animal, and I have to agree with the woman that it's a little too crazy down around Union Square these days.

Then another man asks to see a group of half grown kitties. He recently lost one of his four cats to cancer, and he wants one that will appeal to both him and the others. He describes them each in some detail, and wonders aloud how a new kitty will fit in. Our first set is really pretty shy, so we try another, more outgoing pair. After playing with both of them, he picks the braver girl.

Finally, Maddie's quiets down. I sit with sweet Ishi, waiting for him to finish greeting me with happy head butts and settle down. And I quiet down. All the rushing around makes these peaceful calm moments with good company that much more appreciated. (My little holiday lesson.)



No comments: