Saturday, November 6, 2010

Making Some Noise - Stella

What a wacky week in the city. Monday night: delirium. Really, Wilson threw that final strike, and my normally staid neighbors streamed into the street for impromptu parades and horn honking. Then Tuesday, sigh – well, at least CA mostly bucked the rightward trend. World Series Wednesday? With an office just off the parade route, I could hardly miss it (nor hardly see, from the crowds, but what a happy scene!). Shouts of "UUUribe," "Timmyyy," and "M-V-P" reverberated from the buildings downtown.

I did worry about the noise though. It’s been a loud bunch of days for our animal friends. Happy to see a cluster of people gathered as the doors open at Maddie’s anyway.

Most of the cats have gone days without a visit, so there’s plenty to do. I step into shy girl Stella’s condo and wait for her to venture out from her hiding spot. She’s a cute 6 year old Siamese mix, soft, blue-eyed, and freckled across her cheeks, ears and paws. As soon as a person has proven oneself friendly, Stella gets chatty. She squawks, rubs, purrs, and slithers around my hand as I pet her. She plays a little bit, but mostly head butts the handle of the toy in an attempt to insert her head under my hand. Whatever’s been going on outside recently, Stella’s happy with quiet company.

There’s another unusual looking girl across the hall, a 5 year old Himalayan mix named Tabitha. She’s reputed to be a bit aloof (a rare MVP on the feline-ality test), but she seems pretty lovey dovey to me. She’s quite petite under all that long fur, with a cute little face and big round eyes.

A mom and near adult son (youngish but bigger than either of us) ask to meet frisky orange tabby boy Kiyoshi. I explain about needing to watch his signals – he’s been known to nip, although he’s mostly a sweetheart. And I watch them interact, concerned that the mom seems more interested in his coloring than his personality. But they quickly declare that he’s the one, and assure me they’ve already got a litter box and supply of food laid in at home. They head to the front, and I’m happy that he’s found a home.

Farther down the hall, little Daisy again does her furious pawing at the door to signal me in. She cuddles, nuzzles, and eats a bit. Then we play, and she really gets into it, launching into her own soccer match with a small ball, balancing it acrobatically between her paws. A woman in the hall stops to admire the action, then moves on. Keep it up, is all I can say to Daisy.

No comments: