Saturday, July 17, 2010

Economic Indicators – Oscar

Busy week in my little world. The annual fundraiser at work had me out later than I’m used to, plus dashing around in dressed up clothes and mingling in a noisy room of hundreds of supporters. Nice to schlep around in jeans and sneakers at Maddie’s, cross legged on the floor with my quiet kitty friends.

The fundraiser did well. But as I listen to the various and often contradictory news items about the economy, I wonder when things really will turn the corner. There are positive signs. But also plenty of anecdotal evidence pointing the other way. We’re struggling to keep adoption rates up, even with the discounted pricing continued, and kittens are lined up waiting for space to open up.

Friendly cats are sharing space too. The first person I see, a friendly older woman, asks to meet Bo Bo Muffins, who’s housed with Oscar and Grandma (these names!). She’s in the still contemplating phase, but charmed by the group. They’re getting along pretty well, but hungry for one on one attention. I particularly like fluffy Oscar, a super soft 4 year old gray and white long hair. He’s got a sweet expression and an intelligence about him that’s appealing – you can almost see him thinking "what am I doing here??"

A group of pre-schoolers comes rushing into the hall, and Oscar beats a hasty retreat. There are dozens of children around – older summer campers plus another group of younger kids, all looking like they’re enjoying themselves. The woman jokes that she wishes she could attend the SPCA summer camp.

I check Oscar’s paperwork on his door. The poor guy was surrendered a couple weeks ago, and I wonder what happened with his people that they would have to give him up.

I help another woman who wants a kitten companion for her shy cat at home. She was here a few days ago, and is surprised by how many new kittens have replaced the ones she met then. But she happily chooses a darling little orange tabby.

His adorable brown tabby sister is the only one left of their litter, and I peak in later to make sure she’s not too lonely. She does look a bit bereft, but purrs and nuzzles when I pet her. I’m not worried about her – regardless of the next few months and even years, she’s got a long happy life ahead.

No comments: