Friday, May 21, 2010

Welcome Home – Briscoe and Kelsey

Cats sure like their routines. This point was made several times last week, as we disrupted the households of two different hosts back east. Two petite and nervous older girls mostly hid during the proceedings, utterly horrified at a wedding party taking over their domain. Another friskier and friendlier boy pretty much went about his business as usual despite having company, amusing us with his habit of trotting along after the dogs on their daily walks.

Of course it was nice to get home to our own cats and routines. (Unlike my former kitty, who would follow me from room to room singing her displeasure and sometimes pointedly turning her back on me, my boy forgave my absence immediately and completely. His only wish was that I commence all the cuddling and brushing we had missed right away. He’s stuck by me, like a 19 pound squawking shadow, since I returned.)

Over at Maddie’s, paperwork indicates there have been lots of adoptions, mostly youngsters. My first customer is a woman who recently lost the cat she adopted from the SPCA more than a decade ago. She’s looking for a young, friendly boy, and seems pretty taken with the first one we meet. I suggest that she at least go around and meet a few other cats, and she agrees that this is a big enough commitment to take the time to be sure of her choice.

A group of young people wander by, followed by two fast moving couples. Then it slows down, and I go sit with Kelsey and Briscoe, a bonded pair who are 9 and 11. Both are lanky, long legged, mostly black, and sweet and cuddly. Briscoe has longer hair, and a massive fluffy tail. They both rub around and purr, but neither quite settle down with me. Surely they’re both missing the comfort of a secure home.

I spend some quality lap time with Oreo Cookie, and another big black and white girl, Buffy, who resides directly across the hall. They warily observe each other as I visit, and Buffy stays planted at her door, looking all big eyed and sad, as I make my way down the corridor.

Chaka, Champ, Leta, Nigel and Boots are all still here. But there’s a Walter update, via the grapevine – his prior owner decided she was well enough to take care of him, and came back to retrieve him and bring him home. Talk about happy homecomings!

No comments: