Saturday, April 17, 2010

Say Cheese - Walter

I’m afraid we have a lot of the same old cats at the shelter – but some great new photos of them [www.sfspca.org/adoptions/cats]. And that’s not easy. I’ve been hard pressed to get good snapshots of my boy; he either comes to head butt the camera or rolls on his back with his big paws flapping.

Two charming tabbies, housed side by side, capture my attention right away. Big gray tabby Walter is lolling on another volunteer’s lap, looking blissful. I go in to sit with Ralfie, a lovely 3 year old brown tabby. He’s a former stray, wide eyed and on the shy side, but he soon hops down beside me to purr while I pet him. An enthusiastic woman in the corridor sends him momentarily scooting away, but he quickly bounces back. His paperwork says he likes other cats, which sets him apart from a number of the current Maddie’s residents.

I peek in at Walter. The dude is 16 and newly arrived via the SIDO program, meaning his former person has passed away or is no longer able to care for him. He’s fat, loud, a bit ornery, probably never was the cutest kitten in the litter – but there’s just something special about him. He’s got staff and volunteers swinging by all day to pay homage. I cuddle with him, and he leans into me, affectionate. But I can see he’s just making the best of the situation. He knows something is wrong and he clearly misses his person, poor thing.

Moving along, I show a cute little "cherry blossom" 4 month old to a guy who practically melts on the floor falling in love with him. He’s just moved to a new apartment, though, and is low on funds. I put a note on the kitty’s door that someone’s interested in him, while the young man goes off to hit up pals to borrow money. I see him squatting by the door with his phone, so he can send out a picture.

I’m in with Clinton and Ani, dangling a toy for her while giving him a luxurious belly rub, when I spot an older gentleman in the hall. He looks a bit unsure of himself, confused by the layout of the hallways. But in an instant, his expression shifts completely, to one of amusement and deep pleasure. He’s looking in at one of our entertaining cuties, a young all black kitty who’s romping around her condo.

Never mind the cat photos – that expression of delight is the image I wish I could have captured.

No comments: