Saturday, February 13, 2010

Happy Birthday Big Boy - Max, Chewey

We celebrated my boy’s birthday earlier this week. I don’t know the actual date, so I commemorate the anniversary of his coming home (two years ago now!). He got a food treat and a new toy, a clever fake bird that emits chirpy noises when batted. Unfortunately it’s a bit loud for either of our tastes – but he’s not real big on batting stuff either. Anyway, while some might think I go overboard, I come from a family where my mom baked a cake and served tuna casserole on each cat’s birthday.

Over at Maddie’s, I pay special attention to a couple other big guys I’m fond of. Chewey is a massive 10 year old long hair tabby and white dude. Not sure if his name is from Star Wars; I suppose he resembles a Wookie more than anyone else here does. He’s got a comically girlish meow, and a shy but sweet disposition. He meows, rubs, and burrows his face in my hair the way my boy does, leaning heavily against me. His fur is long, soft, luxurious; his tail is thicker than your average kitten. He needs regular brushing – not a problem for this guy, who craves physical attention.

Across the hall, Max is a big sweet 13 year long hair gray tabby with a stubby tail. Both these guys are recommended to be only cats in adult homes. Max is not quite as big, but certainly good sized. He lounges next to me, blinking and purring, as I pet him and admire his pretty striped markings and the curly fur on his belly.

A young couple ask to see Jumbo, a 9 month old all white kitty. I’m guessing he’s on the big side too, but the poor thing is shy and stays mostly hidden while we’re in there. Three people standing near him kind of freak him out, and they’re a bit impatient to wait for him to emerge.

Then a woman who’s specifically looking for a Russian Blue asks for help. We see one who seems to bond nicely with her. She’s just starting out looking though, and wants to check out one over at Animal Care and Control. Not long later, I meet Bonnie, a super shy 7 year old blue. It takes several minutes of silent coaxing before she’ll even come out to let me pet her. She cautiously nibbles some food while I pet her, her ears alert for any strange sounds. The woman is already gone, but hopefully she’ll get a chance to meet her too.

It’s hard to be in a new place like this. There are quite a few people around today, groups wandering the hallways and volunteers both. I remember how my boy tried to hide in his condo when he was here.

Toward the end of my shift, I note several Adoption Pending signs up. Lucky kitties, and lucky people too. Celebrating getting the boy made me think about some of those quirks I now take for granted… how he squeezes onto my lap despite being too big to fit, a hind leg or two still hanging off, his nightly cuddling of my head and his big paw tapping my shoulder in the morning.

I’m wishing a happy homecoming for all today’s new pets and pet companions.

No comments: