Saturday, November 7, 2009

Happy Endings - Thomas

It’s a dreary day, baseball season is over and I’m kind of tempted to sneak off to Hawaii in the manner of our missing Mayor. Off to the shelter in the drizzle instead. There have been some signs about a missing cat in my neighborhood, sad signs with handwritten notes saying he’s probably scared and hungry. Today another note scratched across says "He’s Home!!"

I’m cheered up and hoping for a similarly happy ending to Thomas’ long stay at Maddie’s. He’s a good boy, a solid 10 year old white and gray with this cute little gray line under his chin, like a feline hipster soul patch. He's got an under control heart condition, but you wouldn't know it to see him racing around his condo. He’s friendly, but not overwhelmingly needy, and they suggest he’d do best as the only cat in the house.

A mom and daughter come by, exclaiming over how big he is. (Thomas looks normal to me, but I’ve gotten used to my super sized cat. He does have a good sized sturdy head.) They continue along, squeezing together to review each cat, talking excitedly.

Several cats haven’t had visitors for two or three days, so the volunteers have lots to do even without very many potential adopters on hand. I meet several half grown kittens with a range of personalities from super feisty calico Cheeka to adorable and relaxed to the point of floppiness sisters Lily and Sally. Another trio entertain passersby with a play fight of scrabbling legs and ferocious neck bites. No hissing though, and moments later they’re sitting side by side washing their paws.

I sit across the hall with sweet shy Amanda, a small 2 year old black and white long hair girl. A pair of young men pause and one of them wags his fingers by the window to be chased. But they move on, only looking mildly interested. Soon the kittens are sprawled out napping, the smallest one with her paws extended as though about to dive into a pool.

I coax Amanda into my lap, wishing she could relax as easily. As I watch, a staff person clips up Adoption Pending tag for one of the kittens. At least one more happy ending today.

No comments: