Saturday, October 17, 2009

Firm Foundations - Midas

All the news stories about Loma Prieta bring to mind a dear long departed cat. (Ok, so do lots of things.) But 20 years ago, 5:04pm, I was backing up my computer at work. Dove under the desk for the eternal 15 seconds of shaking, then made my way home on foot, walking down Mission past the rubble South of Market, plumes of smoke in the distance and crazy rumors about bridge collapses passed from peoples’ car radios on the street. (Remember? No cell phones.)

And when I finally made it home, my little Pepe was at the door, greeting me with her usual enthusiastic rubs and meowing for dinner, reassuring me that things would be ok. Except for the power being out, you couldn’t tell the quake had even happened at my apartment. It wasn’t till I got hold of my parents back east that I understood what a big deal the whole thing was. Anyway, Pepe was a sweet and friendly little tabby girl, one of the nicest cats I’ve ever known.

Over at Maddie’s, I’m pleased to see that MeiMei and Katrina found homes this week. But Chloe and Midas are still there. I at least get the chance to show Chloe to a friendly pair of young women. They pet her and play with her, but they’ve already pretty much decided on an adorable little calico.

I’m surprised Midas hasn’t been snapped up – she’s so pretty and chatty. She’s a 5 year old torbi with a lovely expressive face and a positive attitude. She meows a few times before hoping onto my lap, eyeing passersby before slowly relaxing as if to spend the afternoon there. It’s nice to sit peacefully, with this sweet purring kitty cuddled next to me.

Across the hall, newcomer Anastasia really needs some counseling. She’s a super shy, all black 10 year old, who’s hiding fully under her rug. I sit still and talk to her for awhile, then slowly lure her out. At first she just sits, purring but immobile while I pet her, then finally she slinks around the room and has a bite to eat. I feel bad straightening out her rug, but I want potential adopters to be able to see her.

A few people wander by, but no one stops. Over in hallway 5, I meet Jensen, a frisky young long hair tabby and white boy. He’s perky and well adjusted, especially since he’s missing a hind leg. It’s hard to even tell until he walks, which he manages quite well, if a bit awkwardly. His front paws are big and strong. He’s a little nervous about unexpected noises, but otherwise friendly and playful.

When I glance in at Anastasia later, she’s back under her rug. Poor thing, she’s less well grounded even than the three legged kitty.

No comments: