Saturday, September 5, 2009

Fun at Home - Clarissa

Well, the fog finally rolled in early this morning. I know because my Montana, who dislikes a too warm flat, got uncharacteristically frisky. He charged up and down the hall a couple times then came to stand right next to my head, giving a delighted squawk when I cracked open an eye to meet his.

It’s brisk and comfortable walking towards the shelter, in case I need more incentive to stay put over the long weekend. (Wildfires, bridge closures, a happy cat at home, why leave?)

I’m pleased to note that Lexie and little Kiwi were recently adopted. Plus a very charming trio of friendly all black siblings got taken together. Hats off to that generous adopter, who I’m sure will have years of fun with those cool kitties. We still have several bonded pairs here though, and I make a point of stopping to check in on Jeremy and Luigi and the Liddys, Big and Little.

A number of cats have gone two or three days without a volunteer visit, so there are plenty of cats to see. I enjoy interacting with charming Clarissa, who reminds me a bit of my boy. She’s a 7 year old long hair black and white, a little cautious but mostly in-your-face friendly (a "Personal Assistant"). Her picture is cute, but doesn’t do her justice; she’s prettier and slimmer in person, with a thick, soft, luxurious coat.

She’s chatty and loves to be petted, and clearly would enjoy being brushed – a good thing with all that fur. As I stroke her, she accidentally dips her tail into her water dish, then swishes it around, not bothered in the least.

Must be a day to get wet. My next visit is with Echo, a sweet and chunky Russian Blue girl across the hall. She’s so excited by having company that she purrs and rubs and drools all at the same time. Close to a ten on a one to ten drooling scale – but for anyone who thinks it’s cute, what a winner. I’ve been around cats like that, and they do calm down after awhile. But she’s still pretty pumped up when I move on.

There are a few people walking around, mostly just observing the cats and moving at a fast pace. A very young couple who look like high schoolers, but probably are on their own, debate the merits of cute little Cupcake. But they wander away, not ready to meet her.

Things pick up toward the end of my shift, and I point three different couples to the kitten hallways. (Maddie’s has fewer teensy kittens, but still plenty of kittens under six months available. ) There are several volunteers on hand, so I take off knowing they’re in good hands.

Outside at the bus stop on 16th, I see a woman with a telltale shelter cardboard box waiting for the 22. Pretty clear how she’ll be spending her weekend. And pretty hard to imagine a better one.

No comments: