Saturday, August 15, 2009

Family Ties - The Liddys

Happily, my time away wasn’t entirely devoid of feline companionship - although I dislike being away from my boy, and missed seeing the shelter kitties. We stayed at a ranch with a super friendly pair of barn cats who were eager for any attention they could get.

The family gathering peaked at 21 relatives, ranging in age from 5 to 92. Getting us all on the road for expedition was like herding cats indeed. But I got a good chance to move at kid time, where each moment must be filled with doing something – playing, sudden boredom, a new game, a made up twist on the game… Fortunately none of the parents are the hovering sort, and were quite happy to have those for whom play time is a novelty hang with the kids. We even found a game of Twister, which the younger ones had never heard of, and found hugely entertaining.

Still, I also like the feline pace of finding a sunny spot to lounge, enjoying a fine meal, running around a bit then chilling for awhile. So it’s good to be home. Back at Maddie’s, it was nice to see that several longer term cats found homes. Plus kitten season seems finally to be slowing a bit, at least to the point where I wasn’t besieged to show a kitten upon arrival.

I’m immediately charmed by a bonded pair of 4 year old litter mates, Little Liddy and her brother Big Liddy. Little is almost all black, small of course, and slightly more assertive. She commands my lap right away. Big is a good sized black and white boy, yellow eyed and precious, and lounges happily next to me. They both purr and gaze up sweetly. They’re good natured, confident cats, pleased with both my and each other’s company, and very much at home with each other in a comfortable family way. Big plays in a goofy way, chasing a toy and toppling off his climbing structure in the process. Little prefers chewing on things with a bit more dignity.

Next door are another bonded pair, all black Luigi and pretty tabby Jeremy. These two are a bit more shy, though they warm up quickly. They wander around nudging my hands for petting and bumping heads in a friendly way. As I sit with them a couple kids, clearly siblings from both appearance and behavior, run up to the window. Hands and noses pressing the glass, they giggle at the cats and casually shove at each other in a probably unconscious ritualistic way.

Their mom moves them along, one hand per available shoulder. I whisper to the cats that they’re lucky to have each other and to stick together. Either of these pairs would make fine additions to a family.

No comments: