Saturday, June 20, 2009

Comfort Zone - Felix

It’s been a hectic week – hormone infused one month-till-the-annual-fundraiser and two weeks- till-fiscal-year-end, budget worrying days. My neighborhood is alive with lovely flower blossoms and all I can focus on are the day old Examiners in their non-recycle plastic wrap, lying discarded on the sidewalks. World news is exhausting. Even the lighter stuff seems not so light.

So socializing with the cats at Maddie’s is going to do more for me than for them. I cuddle up with Bobo, a young and pretty orange tabby boy. He’s getting over his initial shyness and purrs loudly, meeting my eyes and blinking his satisfaction.

Across the hall, little Racoon sits at his door watching our every move, waiting his turn. He’s a 7 month old tabby with tight little stripes, a formerly under-socialized kitten who’s half grown and skinny, playful but still wary. He’s got a sweet little purr, and I convince him to let me pet him at least a little before he launches himself after the toys.

But Felix really turns me around. This guy is talkative and loud, a 12 year old tuxedo cat who meows in a fussy way at first, pacing around and fixing me with a Take Me Home stare. But then he decides to chill, and climbs slowly onto my lap, purring and settling gently, quiet and content. Enjoying the moment; wordless sharing his simple cat philosophy with me.

A middle aged couple are looking for a younger male as a companion for their older cat. I put in a good word for Bobo. Some moms and kids, and a pair of college students (Cal sweatshirts and shorts) are wandering around, just looking. Other random singles and couples go up and down the halls, some really studying the animal descriptions and reading parts aloud, others just cruising along, seeming barely interested. There are lots of volunteers around, so everybody’s accommodated.

Toward the end of my shift, a dozen or so young apron clad campers line the main corridor, eagerly waiting their assignments. One little girl is literally jumping around in excitement and others clamor to see the kittens. It’s a small thing we’re doing here at the shelter, all of us, but there’s a good sense of community.

No comments: