Saturday, February 7, 2009

At First Sight - Winks

Happy Chinese New Year... and please don't scare the animals with fireworks this weekend...

The first couple people I encounter at the shelter decline help; just looking, one says. The other, a gentle seeming middle aged woman tells me apologetically, "No thanks, I don’t want to…" and fades out. I get what she means, it’s easy to become attached, although I pretty much can’t resist meeting a new animal when I get the chance.

Speaking of which: Oh, Ozzie! He’s like my dream cat, and I’m glad the other cats in my life aren’t here to witness me melting in his presence. He’s a newly arrived four year old brown tabby with a classic tabby face and perfect big round markings. Only a clipped ear breaks the symetry.

It’s not just looks; I don’t want to be that shallow. Ozzie’s incredibly sweet and loving. He kneads and purrs, gazing straight into my eyes as he does so. I can’t help but haul him into my lap, and he curls up like a big baby, tail between his legs. People walking by ooh and ah when they see him. (I'd post his picture but I'm afraid he'll be off the website by the time I get there. Yup.)

His paperwork says he was surrendered, and I can’t imagine how anyone could let him go. At least he’s the sort of fellow who will get snapped up fast.

There’s another cat I just adored on sight who’s been here longer. Winks is a soft ten year old bright orange tabby, a little more shy and quirky. There’s something special about her though too, and I squeeze in a little extra time visiting her. She weaves bravely around my legs and stares at me sweetly as well.

Back in hallway 3, I meet the pair of 9 month olds next to Ozzie. Shane and Murphy are both cute tabby and white guys, but quite nervous for older kittens. They slink out slowly, enjoy being petted but remain wary, and back away when anyone enters the hall.

A woman comes in with a pair of kids. I assume from her young age and lack of attention to the children that she’s a sitter rather than the mom. She’s on her phone, then she turns it sideways and starts texting. It makes an irritating noise, and the kitties crouch back toward the corner.

The kids approach the window and little Shane growls, only he’s half hidden and too cute to be scary. Still, the kids tap the window and meow at each other, the cats back farther up with their fur rising on their backs, and the woman just keeps tapping on her tiny keyboard. When they whine that they want to leave, she shushes them and says she needs to finish her email.

So kind of she’s getting three things done between her important message, watching the kids and viewing the cats. But actually she’s not accomplishing much at all. And there are wonderful things to see here.

No comments: