Saturday, November 15, 2008

Second Chances - Miss Lady

I take at look at the paperwork for long term cats who’ve gone home, and am happy to see that someone finally adopted Adobe. I wouldn’t have thought it would take so long. It’s often hard to predict which adult cats will get scooped up right away and which will languish, especially amongst the so called mature ones.

By happy coincidence, I meet another former long time resident’s adoptive moms. These two very young and kind of androgynous women ask to see little Tabitha. As we pet the shy squirming girl, I ask my usual questions about have they had cats before, and they answer yes, they have two quiet ones at home. They’re a boy and a girl, both gray, and both from Maddie’s.

Of course I inquire further, and learn that the girl is Maggie [http://catcounselor.blogspot.com/2008/05/window-on-world-maggie.html] , who was here for weeks last spring. One of the women whips out her phone to show me a photo, but I assure her I remember what shy Maggie looks like. It took awhile, she says, but Maggie has come fully out of her shell. She’s blossomed in the new home, she loves to be picked up and cuddled, and she runs around playing with the other guy.

I don’t think the young women quite get why I’m so delighted to hear about Maggie, but this is cat volunteer nirvana, the happy ending we hope for with each little visit to our homeless feline friends.

The women aren’t sure and head off to consult with the front desk, and I move on to other kitties. Playful Peter has got a new roomie named Mr. Gray. Peter’s a long hair tabby and white two year old, cheerful and oblivious to the consternation he’s causing Mr. Gray. The nervous gray tabby stays mostly hidden at the top of their climbing structure, poking his head out to be petted, but hissing when Peter hops up for a nose sniff.

Across the hall, I watch the grand entrance of Miss Lady, newly arrived to the adoptable cat area. Often cats freshly transferred by staff need some down time, but this girl confidently moves around her new space checking things out, and trots to the door when visitors enter the hallway.

I go across to meet her, and learn from her card that she’s 16 (!) and FIV+. And frankly she’s a little funny looking – she’s a long, hair tabby and white, with kind of an outsized head, an odd gray mouth, and the somewhat ruffled fur of an older cat.

But is she ever charming. Seriously, she’s a delight. She rubs gently, purring, making good eye contact and putting a soft paw on my arm when I pause in the petting. She chases a toy with mild interest – kind of going through the motions since it seems to be important to me. Then she settles next to me, leaning her top half affectionately on my leg, telling me in every way she can that she’s ready to go home.

Hope it’s a short stay.

No comments: