Friday, October 31, 2008

You Betcha - Louie

I come in to volunteer a day early this week. (Will be spending Halloween at work, where we’re to have a brown bag lunch with candy and a costume contest… it’s a little like elementary school at my office sometimes. Also, there’s a staff meeting. I’ll be in my Palin outfit, winking heavily made up eyes and using folksy phrases to not answer questions put to me.)

Anyway, I arrive at Maddies on the tail end of a Yes on 2 press conference. Serious looking guys are packing away cameras in the lobby, which is spruced up and sporting large campaign signs. Dozens of Yes on 2 volunteers are milling around eating snacks off small paper plates and chatting.

A few campaign and press people wander the cat halls, mostly talking to each other and just glancing at the cats. With everything going on this weekend, I’m not surprised it’s slow for actual adoptions.

I spend quiet time with some shy girls. Ana’s at least making eye contact with people walking by, and super freaked out Jenga actually lets me stroke her head. Oh and little Becca finally went home, that’s good news for all of us who have worked with her.

Later, a cheerful young woman comes in and talks loud baby talk to each cat she sees, calling out their names and exclaiming how cute and darling they are. This gets a number of them riled up and mewing at their doors. Goofy boy James starts mauling his look alike stuffed animal while keeping an eye toward the door to see who’s watching.

I have to go see Louie, who’s meowing like a car alarm. He’s a slender 4 year old, grey with a tiny white patch on his chest. He’s been classed as shy, but is definitely warming up. He’s friendly and frisky, climbing in and out of my lap and head butting my hand to pet him. He loves the old toy-under-the-rug game, pouncing and sliding comically across the floor.

As soon as anyone enters the hallway, he darts to the door for a look and a meow. Might as well be saying, "vote for me!"

Looking hopefully forward to Nov 4…

No comments: