Friday, September 12, 2008

Cat People – Meet People Cats - Vigo


I like shy little girl kitties, but today it’s pretty much all about the good boys. Carlos catches my attention right away, all but flagging me down from his window as I walk down the main hallway.

He’s a large tabby and white boy, super friendly (“leader of the band”) but also a little anxious. He’s got a curtain up blocking sightlines from his door, because he’s “uncomfortable with other cats in a shelter situation.”

But he’s very comfortable with people – he rolls around my lap, purring and kneading and still trying to catch the attention of anyone else passing by in the hallway. A PR person leads a group of a dozen or so on a tour down the hall, and Carlos leaps up to start pawing the window.

Once I manage to tear myself away (or pull my lap out from under the very affectionate and determined to stay seated Carlos), I meet Vigo. He’s a precious 4 year old orange tabby, a bit more shy but very loving. He’s basically scared of the world but has a very strong wish to be stroked every minute, and it’s a cute little slinky balancing act. I pet him, get him to chase a toy around and admire what’s got to be the cutest little spotted nose in the place.

Hulk Hogan watches us from across the hall. He’s a big lovey boy too. A young couple moving quickly along the corridor pause to comment on how big the Hulk is, and wonder to each other if having a fat cat would reflect badly on them. (How shallow, I think, although almost simultaneously I have to admit I've had such thoughts on occasion myself.) But really, any of these guys would be a welcome addition to a home.

I saw a bunch of people I hadn’t seen for awhile earlier this week (happy 50th, Greenbelt Alliance!). Lots of comparing notes about jobs and kids growing up and pet updates. Saddly, some losses there. It’s part of the cycle. To a person, though, the pet people have gotten or plan to get new animal companions. It’s the kind of thing you just can’t do without for very long once you're used to having a pet around.

No comments: