Thursday, August 7, 2008

It Had to be a Dog Called Booger - Mabel & Mack


People who knew of my devotion to my late cat Muppy have asked if I would have wanted her cloned. Like the dog in question, sure, it was hard to let her go. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/08/06/MNM7125HBD.DTL

But when you spend time at the shelter, the answer is a resounding NO. There are so many unique and wonderful pets needing homes already.

I understand wanting to renew a cherished relationship. (And I loved that the departed Booger’s clone-sponsor named the puppies Booger Lee, Booger Ra, etc. in honor of the docs… um, thanks.) But I think everyone, people and animals, are more than their basic DNA. Environment and growth and relationships, serendipitous coincidences and chance encounters have a huge impact on how someone turns out. Sometimes it’s just luck, and I wonder if that really can – or should – be recreated.

I’m missing lucky 8-8-08 at Maddie’s; work interfering with life again. But there are a few customers looking around the day before. A couple with 2 cats at home are searching for the right personality match for a third. They’ve narrowed it to three. I’m always interested in how people make these choices. Often people choose between very similar cats. But in this case, the candidates vary widely: a 3 month old kitten, big super friendly long hair Mercedes, and tiny skittish tabby girl Libra. They head off to consult with a cat behaviorist.

I visit Mabel and Mack, a bonded pair of seven year olds, siblings, all gray, soft and sweet. (Just an aside – it’s been several years since my mother died, but sometimes I still have a little flash, an impulse of thinking I should call and tell her about this. She especially liked soft gray kitties, and would have adored these two.)

Anyway, visually, I can barely tell them apart without their handy blue and pink collars. But they’re quite different in person, despite being siblings raised together since birth. Mack is bolder, rubbing and rolling around hopping on and off my lap. Mabel is cautious, wary at first. She moves slowly, but winning her gentle affection is more gratifying.

And I value that uniqueness.



No comments: