Monday, March 10, 2008

Wisdom - Chloe

Got my that’s-so-cute fix before I even made it in the door this time. A young woman had brought her dog to meet the shelter dog she was thinking of adopting. Some kind of spaniel mix, white and tan with fluffy fur and floppy ears, wriggling and pleased with all attention. Can’t imagine she’d have trouble getting along with anyone.

Well, that’s dogs for you. Cats are more particular about almost everything. They are complicated the way people who’ve lived a long time are. Dogs remind me more of children – fun and cute and everything, but not that deep.

Inside Maddie's, I spent extra time with Chloe. She’s a lovely bright and extra soft Torbi. But she’s got a couple strikes against her – she’s 12 years old and declawed. Nonetheless, I think she’ll make a great companion for the right people. It’s just that both they and she need to understand who calls the shots. (Need I add, that would be Chloe.)

She does so with me, starting by standing up and pawing on her door, demanding some face time, as I enter her hallway. First on her agenda, lap sitting and pets – she climbs around until comfortable and then nudges my hand with her head till I understand the proper location and pressure to apply.

After awhile she allows for some play time. Her way again – I might slither the toy along the ground and dart it under and over her throw rug, but she ignores it in the air. When she’s had enough, she samples some kibble, which appears not to be fresh to her liking. Then back to the lap.

To just look at her, you wouldn’t guess she was a senior citizen. (Must be nice to have fur instead of wrinkles.) But that demeanor gives her away. Wisdom, knowing what she wants and firmly seeking it, taking no gruff. Good qualities, in my opinion. This pretty cat could rule the roost for some lucky folks for half a decade at least.

No comments: