Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Other Side of the Counter

http://www.catster.com/cats/717069

Just a bit more on the whole adoption thing. Despite my volunteer creds, I still went through the whole process at Maddie’s to adopt my guy Montana: the two page form, the proof of cat residency, many helpful handouts, detailed discussion about making the adjustment for both me and the cat.

Because he’d been an “affection eater” (meaning stress at the shelter made him lose his appetite and he had to be coaxed to eat), they brought out a bag of his special food. I brought my sturdy carrier in from the car, not quite trusting a 17 pounder in a small cardboard box.

Putting him into the carrier was a breeze (and a startling contrast to my departed Muppy, a mere 6 pounds of energetic fight and flight). He cried all the way home, loud enough that people were looking in from the sidewalk as we passed Tartine on Guerrero.

I had his safe area ready, his litterbox, food and water, the small enclosed shelf where Mup spent her first couple days hidden when we moved in 5 years back. And the Sunday paper along with voluminous cat tips to read during the long wait.

Well, Montana-boy ventured out to check things out after maybe two minutes. He was a bit nervous, yes, but pumped. This was no one room squalor with a pack of cats, but a pretty sunny place with a soft carpet and windows overlooking the street. Oh, and me.

He’s a lover boy. A head butter, a full body rubber, so enthusiastic to rub on things he knocked stuff over. First week, he follows me when I’m home, sits on me if there’s a lap or near me if I’m cross-legged. Thinks my yoga moves are great fun, re-imagining positions like downward head butt, warrior leg twist. Flops on the floor underfoot in the kitchen. Cuddles by my head on the bed, purring and kneading and burrowing his head into my neck. (That last is cute but I’m hoping he chills at little; it’s hard to sleep with a wet nose on your neck and flexing claws by your ears.)

He likes to play, as long as he can do so mostly while lying on his side, and he uses the scratching post. Afterwards, he stays prone, rolling over on his back, stubby legs flailing, looking up at me with adorable blinks. He’s getting used to the noises of the house, the dog barking downstairs, kids outside. But has been pretty much unfazed. The naughtiest thing he's done is wake me up for some head and neck lovin' every night. And he’s tried to do is sneak out the door when I leave. Every time.

The food thing? As I suspected, no problem. Or as Tana would tell you, the only problem is there isn’t enough of it.

No comments: