Monday, January 28, 2008

Sugar & Spice Cheeky

Another winter day of heavy rain. Just trotting up 16th Street from the BART station, my sneakers and the bottom of my jeans get soaked. But I’m glad I braved the elements – I’m the only Maroon level volunteer for the first couple hours, and there are several customers.

Another volunteer points me to a young family who want to visit Cheeky in hallway 1. She’s a sweet little black cat, friendly and playful, and seemingly unencumbered by the injury to her hind legs that gives her an odd lopsided gate.

I will admit to being hesitant when I see the family, a pretty young hippieish woman and two small children, all decked out in colorful rain coats and rubber boots. Kids that young often don’t get cats, and the shelter used to have some rather severe age limits for adoptions. But Maddy’s is working on being more family friendly, and I’m comfortable at least giving it a try.

Turns out the children are delights. More sensitive and better behaved than some of the adult visitors we get. The older girl (whom I learn is "almost five") explains the importance of letting a cat sniff your hand first to me, and even the younger one ("almost two") carefully pets only Cheeky’s back with her delicate little hand.

Cheeky is a bit taken aback with four guests crowded into her condo, but she loses her shyness pretty quickly and rubs around. She has her own special toy, and the older girl whips it around for Cheeky to chase. The little one starts playing with another cat toy herself, and climbing up and down a mini set of steps as though at the playground.

What could have been a dreary day has its moment of charm here, all of us on the floor playing and laughing together, safe and warm inside, the sound of the rain pounding down around us. Cheeky purring as she bats her toy, other visitors smiling as they look in.

The children share the cat toys, the older helps the younger, both of them are calm, quiet, and although reluctant to leave capable of doing so without whining, threats or tantrums. Their day’s adventure winding down, they head back out. Cheeky’s had her adventure too, and looks ready for a nap as I move on to visit another kitty.




No comments: